Scandal At East St. Louis' Jackie Joyner-Kersee Center?
"A financially troubled charitable foundation headed by Olympic star Jackie Joyner-Kersee paid at least $457,000 in consulting fees to her husband's private foundation, which failed to file federal income statements as required by law.
The board of directors of the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Foundation voted to pay Robert Kersee's Diversity Through Sports Youth Foundation $327,000 in 2003, $35,000 in 2004, $20,000 in 2005 and $75,000 in 2006, according to public tax documents.
During the same years, the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Foundation was losing millions and the East St. Louis youth center it runs was struggling to pay its bills, according to financial records.
"Besides the $457,000 in consulting fees passed between the two foundations, financial statements for the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Foundation show:
• Robert Kersee received a salary of $47,154 as president of his wife's foundation in 2001. A report stated that Kersee worked an average of two hours per week as president.
• The center had total revenue in 2006 of $1.61 million and expenses of $2.55 million, resulting in an operating deficit of $936,328, according to the foundations Form 990 filed in 2007, the latest report available.
• A payment of $33,000 in 2007 in consulting fees to a private, for-profit business owned by Robert Kersee, even though the corporate status of the business, Track, Court and Field Inc., was revoked in 2004, according to the Missouri secretary of state.
• The foundation paid $149,000 from 2005-07 to a business owned by the sister of Nino Fennoy, treasurer of the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Foundation and Joyner-Kersee's high school track coach. The money paid to the Fennoy Group of Fairview Heights was for human resources consulting.
• As of Dec. 31, 2007, the foundation owed $197,174 to Heptathlon Inc., listed on the foundation's annual report as a company owned by a relative of a foundation board member who was not identified, and an additional $48,000 to Track, Court and Field, even though the latter company no longer was registered as a business in Missouri. Missouri incorporation records for Heptathlon Inc. do not list the owners' names.ing to public tax documents.