Not-Quite-Live Blogging: St. Paddy's Day in Dogtown
|Gettin' their Irish on|
1:52 p.m. Barbecue smoke and beer breath beckon from the side streets, then behold: a milling mob o' green!
|Honoring Ireland's mullet heritage|
Notable headwear (all green): a curly afro, a fake mullet, derbies with glitter, cowboy hats, top hats, berets (quoi?), and one pair of fuzzy bunny ears.
More photos and adventure after the jump...
2:17 p.m. Across from St. James the Greater church -- perhaps the Irish community's flagship parish -- a small boy is rolling very slowly down a small hill of dead, yellow grass in somebody's side yard. He looks drunk.
1) "Chillin' hat! Awesome."
2) "Damn, this weather's too nice."
3) "Tim! Tim! Take your shirt off!" [Tim declines.]
4) "Oh man, those green-haired guys? Watch out."
4) "All I know is, it's all downhill from here."
5) [In line for the Porta-Poddy]: "Dude I got a shitload of green beads, can I trade you for your place in line?" [Respondent declines.]
On a sidewalk behind the loudspeakers, another young boy is passed out atop a beer cooler. It could be exhaustion from the bright March sun. Or he's drunk.
|These revelers said "Cheeseburger" when photographed|
|Gazing out at the dark sea, thinking of a sailor...|