The Arts and Education Council
yesterday announced the recipients
of its annual arts awards.
Earning the "Lifetime Achievement Award" is Stephanie Riven
, the longtime executive director of COCA
(Center of Creative Arts). Last month Riven announced that she'll retire
in June 2010 to take a job with the New York City arts consulting firm of David Bury & Associates.
The award of "Excellence in the Arts" went to Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra
conductor David Robertson,
who the arts council honored for "his consummate musicianship, fresh stylistic instincts and extensive mastery of orchestral as well as operatic repertoire."
Others receiving honors included:
- The new Citygarden downtown for "Arts Collaboration"
- Regional Arts Commission for being a "Champion of the Arts"
- Dr. Wilfred R. and Ann Lee Konneker for "Excellence in Philanthorpy"
- Ameren for "Corporate Support of the Arts"
- St. Louis public schools music teacher Beverly Whittington for "Art Educator of the Year"
The awards ceremony will take place January 25, 2010, at the Chase Park Plaza. Read more about the arts winners here