Rams Release Richie Incognito, Mayor Slay Approves
|Image Via (originally by Chris Lee of the Post-Dispatch)|
The St. Louis Rams have released G Richie Incognito, the team announced today.The report leaves out the following pertinent details about the now-unemployed football player's f***-up filled career:
"As with all other personnel moves, this is what we felt was in the best interest of the team at this time," said head coach Steve Spagnuolo. "We appreciate Richie's efforts and we wish him the very best."
Incognito, a five-year veteran, spent his entire career with the Rams after being drafted by the team in the third round (81st overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft.
His history of drive-killing personal fouls (two for thirty yards on Sunday, and two more in a loss against Seahawks in the first game), the anger-management problems that got him kicked off two college football teams, and the fact that he pretty much seems dumber than a box of rocks.
The franchise, winners of just one of their past 23 games, is clearly trying to send a message by cutting a guy that's long been a fan/media whipping boy. (Admitedlly, we were practically ready to storm the Rams locker room and go after Incognito with pitchforks earlier this year.)
But the only problem is they're already thin at the big man's position -- the other starting guard Jacob Bell went down for the season with a hamstring injury on Sunday and two backups are now the starters.
Maybe that's why Spagnuolo seemed like he was leaning toward keeping Incognito until now. Or maybe the coach finally realized the more they lose at this point, the more likely the Rams are to win the Ndamukong Suh sweepstakes.
At least one big-name Rams fan certainly approves of the move: Mayor Slay.
The man in charge jabbed at the lineman's pathetic performance Sunday in a post on his Twitter feed yesterday:
If you're 6'3" and 324 lbs, its pretty hard to hide a headbutt from 60K people, 10 TV cameras, several refs, and 1 angry coach.Couldn't have said it better ourselves.