Top Ten Idiotic Political Quotes of 2010
Some people were worried that once "Dubya" left office we'd suffer from the loss of eyebrow-raising political quotes. However, there's one thing in Washington that's never in short supply: stupidity.
Image via Um, is that like really in the Constitution?
The good folks over at About.com's Political Humor blog put together a great collection of the Dumbest Political Quotes of 2010. Daily RFT took the time to comb through these quotes and compile the top ten for your amusement.
10. "The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries."
President Obama: Tampa, Fla., Jan. 28, 2010
You don't say?
9. ''I'm not a witch...I'm you.''
Christine O'Donnell: Oct. 4, 2010
Has political discourse really come to this? OK, don't answer that.
8. ''In case anyone's wondering out there, yes, they're both available. ... Only kidding. Only kidding. Arianna is definitely not. But Ayla is.''
Senator Scott Brown (R-Massachusetts): Jan. 20, 2010
Probably not a good idea to pimp your daughter in your victory speech.
7. ''It may be a blessing in disguise...Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. Haitians were originally under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon the third, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal. Ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other.''
Televangelist Pat Robertson: Jan. 13, 2010
Dear Pat, you are the reason that more and more people are abandoning religion.
6. ''I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism. And I have a communications degree.''
Sarah Palin: Nov. 22, 2010
5. ''The ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left alone and left out there. It's natural. It's as natural as the ocean water is.''
Rush Limbaugh: May 3, 2010
Rush Limbaugh, scientist. Following that logic we should just all defecate on his lawn and leave it alone. That's natural. It's as natural as fertilizer gets.
4. ''This was a war of Obama's choosing. This is not something the United States has actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in.''
Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele at a Connecticut fundraiser, commenting on the war in Afghanistan
3. ''I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived. I saw it all growing up.''
Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich talking with Esquire magazine
Yes, Blago really did equate being black with shining shoes. And we thought Joe Biden was an idiot for suggesting that a "clean" and "articulate" black man was a thing of wonder.
2. ''We had no domestic attacks under Bush; we've had one under Obama.''
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani: Jan. 8, 2010
Someone, somewhere, might conceivably forget the tragedy of 9-11. But we never thought it would be Rudy Giuliani.
1. "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.''
Representative Hank Johnson (D-Ga.): March 25, 2010
This might just be the most idiotic comment of the year, from anyone, about anything.