Your Weekly St. Louis Bestseller List
Here's your weekly St. Louis bestseller list for the week ending May 15, as compiled by the St. Louis Independent Booksellers Alliance and based on sales at Left Bank Books, Main Street Books, Pudd'nhead Books, Subterranean Books and Sue's News.
George Vecsey was kind of a jerk when Daily RFT interviewed him about his new book Stan Musial: An American Life. He insisted that the great Cardinal Stan Musial was a prince of New York City and that if Daily RFT knew anything about baseball at all, we would know that was where he got his nickname "Stan the Man."
(Old-time baseball chroniclers, like those of the Old West, never bothered with facts when the legends would do, but we did find one account that credited a St. Louis sportswriter for being the first to use the phrase "Stan the Man" while reporting how Brooklyn fans whined "Here comes that man again.")
Nonetheless, St. Louisans love their Cards, especially Stan, far more than they love the writers of Daily RFT, and this week they put Vecsey's book at the top of the local bestseller list.
Over on the kids'/ya side, The Hunger Games retook the top spot. If you haven't read it yet, Jennifer Lawrence, who stars in the movie version, explained the plot to David Letterman last week after the talk show host asked her if it was a "vampire deal": "It's a futuristic movie where kids are randomly selected from their home districts to fight in an arena to the death. But we don't drink blood. That's sick."
Lists after the jump:
1. Stan Musial: An American Life by George Vecsey
2. Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
4. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
5. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
6. Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
7. Bossypants by Tina Fey
8. A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
9. I'll Never Get Out of This Town Alive by Steve Earle
10. Make, Take, Murder by Joanna Slan
1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Moon Over Manifest by Claire Vanderpool
3. The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch
4. Throne of Fire: The Kane Chronicles, Book 2 by Rick Riordan
5. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
6. You Are My Little Cupcake by Amy Sklansky
7. Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen
8. The Rainbow Fairies by Daisy Meadows
9. Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman
10. Divergent by Veronica Roth