Roy Oswalt: The Dream That Just Won't Die
|Oswalt wearing the uniform of his last team, the Phillies. I always thought those two were just a terrible fit for each other.|
- Oswalt is scheduled to meet with the Texas Rangers today. Letting them down easily, I'm sure. Maybe like a nice brunch somewhere with white tablecloths. You know, the kind of place where the Rangers will maybe be a little less likely to make a scene. Unless, of course, he's really thinking about signing with them. Oh my god, you don't think he would really do that, do you? That, that...hussy!
- The Cards are trying to get rid of Kyle McClellan. Good for them. They deserve someone better. But for the love of god, now that it's gone so far as to become public knowledge, get the deal done, Mo. You can't have a guy who was openly being shopped coming back in spring training. The trust is just never going to be there again, and we don't need him getting drunk and puking all over the mound some night when the Cards are out trying to win a game down the stretch with one of the other NL Central clubs.
- Presumably, once the Cardinals manage to get the last of K-Mac's stuff boxed up they won't feel so weird about having Roy over, and things can proceed apace. After all, there's nothing worse than inking a new deal with a team and then having to use what you just know was the last pitcher's shampoo when you go to take a shower after signing. I mean, sure, there have been other starters with this club, plenty of them, you know that. But it doesn't mean you like to think about it, you know?
- Are you enjoying the extended dating/free agent signing metaphor? I'm really milking this one for all it's worth.
- It looks like the Red Sox may not be a great fit for Roy. Well, yeah, Boston; what was your first clue? Oswalt keeps talking about how he's got a lot of stuff going on near home, and he just can't see himself signing so far away, and he would really rather go with one of these other teams, but it's totally nothing against the Red Sox...look, Boston, he's just not that into you, okay? No big deal. It happens. I hear the Sawx are kicking the tires on Edwin Jackson, so maybe they've finally gotten the message. I could make a joke about Boston signing a black guy on the rebound, but you know what? I'm just too classy for that.
- I also keep hearing Houston is interested in bringing Oswalt back. I just don't see it, though. Going back to an ex like that is just a bad idea most of the time, and it would be here I think. Especially for Roy. I mean, sure, there's still some feeling there I would imagine, but this isn't even the same Astros team he left. Houston has really let itself go. They did get Jeff Luhnow, and I think the 'Stros might be back on track down the road, but Roy doesn't need some project at this stage of his life. He just needs to be happy and competitive now.