Bestsellers: For Valentine's Day, Read About the Marriage From Hell
Here's your weekly St. Louis bestseller list for the week ending February 3, as compiled by the St. Louis Independent Booksellers Alliance and based on sales at Left Bank Books, Main Street Books and Subterranean Books.
It's like eating at Annie Gunn's, only you're safe at home.
If disappointment in the dream of romance has turned your heart into a black, wizened lump of charcoal, look no further for your Valentine's Day reading than this week's number-one bestseller, Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl, a portrait of the marriage from hell. Well, since it is the number-one bestseller, what might we surmise about the state of love and romance in our fair city?
New to the list this week are a couple of local titles: St. Charles: A Postcard History by Valerie Battle Kienzle with the St. Charles County Historical Society and Rook Cooks: Simplicity at Its Finest by Lou Rook, a cookbook by the chef at Annie Gunn's.
Atop the kids' list is this year's Caldecott Medal winner, This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen and, at number two, a surprise resurgence by The Hunger Games. May the odds be ever in your favor.
1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
2. Tenth of December: Stories by George Saunders
3. A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
4. Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster
5. The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett
6. My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor
7. Suspect by Robert Crais
8. St. Charles: A Postcard History by Valerie Battle Kienzle with the St. Charles County Historical Society
9. When Doctors Don't Listen: How to Avoid Misdiagnoses and Unnecessary Tests by Leana Wen and Joshua Kosowsky
10. Rook Cooks: Simplicity at Its Finest by Lou Rook
1. This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
4. Out of My Mind Sharon Draper
5. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
6. Lick! by Matthew Van Fleet
7. Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen
8. 1 2 3 Count With Me by Georgie Birkett
9. Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
10. Remarkable Animals: 1,000 Amazing Amalgamations by Tony Meeuwissen