Pride Immortalized in Stone: The Gothic Revival Churches of North St. Louis
Photo by Chris Naffziger Most Holy Trinity
As was common in the 1800s, the architecture of the churches reflects the Gothic Revival style, looking in many ways like the churches the immigrants had left behind in Europe. Gothic Revival architecture features soaring spires, large pointed arch windows filled with stained glass, flying buttresses that leap from the walls of the church to support the massive groin vaults of the interior, and are frequently heavily ornamented with sculpture and other decorations. Reflecting the German ethnicity of many of the new congregations, churches took on the floor plan of the hallkirche, a style of Gothic church popular in Germany where the transepts were diminished in favor of a long, open nave. These churches frequently also operated a school and were centers of their community.
The four churches below reflect the north St. Louis in many ways: abandoned, struggling, holding on or seeing new life.
St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church
At 3114 Lismore Street in the St. Louis Place neighborhood, this once-proud German parish church of St. Augustine rises above the ruins of a once-thriving neighborhood. The buff brick church, constructed in 1896 with a majestic off center spire, is easily one of the largest and loftiest churches in the city. But its fortunes rose and fell with its neighborhood. Once boasting a large congregation, the church closed in 1982, and its majestic Gothic windows were covered with plywood. It now sits empty.
Photo by Chris Naffziger St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church.
St. Liborius Roman Catholic Church
To the south at the corner of North Market and Hogan streets, the huge red brick church of St. Liborius anchors a corner at the southern side of St. Louis Place. Another German American Roman Catholic parish, the church opened in 1889 based on plans by architect William Schickel. Its unique openwork spire, now truncated because of fears of collapse, surmounted this Gothic Revival masterpiece of red-brick and white-limestone trim. St. Liborius, like other parishes, closed in 1992 owing to a lack of attendance; now in the hands of a group of young artists, its future looks bright after years of neglect.
Photo by Chris Naffziger St. Liborius Roman Catholic Church
Continue for more Gothic goodness