Pride Immortalized in Stone: The Gothic Revival Churches of North St. Louis
Most Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
A bright spot in a field of closed parishes, Most Holy Trinity is one of the few remaining Roman Catholic parishes open in north St. Louis. Its active congregation and parish school serve as symbols of stability in the Hyde Park neighborhood. The building has even survived severe tornado damage. The massive church, designed by Joseph Conradi, has with twin spires facing Interstate 70 and opened in 1899. It is a classic example of the artistic license architects in America often took with traditional architecture. Instead of the standard Gothic arch windows in the nave, Conradi inserted a row of rose windows.
Photo by Chris Naffziger Most Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church.
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
While not a Roman Catholic parish, Bethlehem Lutheran competes with its Roman Catholic neighbors on the north side. Located in the southwest corner of Hyde Park, this church dates back to 1895 and was designed by architect Louis Wessbecher (who also designed St. Augustine). Of all of the four churches featured here, this one is suffering the most dilapidation; windows are missing, the roof is sagging and there is little money to start the renovation of such an expensive renovation. With new life coming to Hyde Park in the form of new and renovated construction, the survival of this church (God willing) could be a powerful symbol.
Photo by Chris Naffziger Bethlehem Lutheran Church.
Chris Naffziger writes about architecture at St. Louis Patina. Contact him via e-mail at email@example.com