Breast Milk Ice Cream & Six Other Grown-Up Foods Made From Breast Milk
Ewww, gross! Ice cream made from breast milk!
Oh, wait ... maybe that's not so bad. We're mammals. Cows are mammals. The milk's screened to hospital standards. And it's free-range! As long as Mum gets out of the house on occasion.
"How can anybody possibly say this is disgusting? If it's good enough for our kids, it's good enough for anybody else," said Matt O'Connor, owner of London's The Icecreamist and creator of Baby Gaga breast milk ice cream, which is served by a Lady Gaga impersonator.
Despite the ice cream's popularity - the Icecreamist couldn't keep up with demand, and over 200 lactating women offered to donate their milk - health officials seized samples for testing and made O'Connor pull the product last Friday until testing is completed.
Westminster Councillor Brian Connell told the Telegraph, "Selling foodstuffs made from another person's bodily fluids can lead to viruses being passed on and in this case, potentially hepatitis. As the local authority we will support small businesses and applaud innovative ideas wherever possible, but we must protect the health of consumers."
Because cow's milk never, ever makes people sick. And breast milk has never been used to make people-food. Oh, wait ...
6. Brown Butter - During a St. Louis stop on his book tour for Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run, audience member Arkay Adkisson asked Alton Brown if there was any truth to the rumors that he had made cheese from Mrs. Brown's breast milk. Stlbites.com reported that Brown tried to make cheese, but was only able to make butter.
5. Say Cheese - Despite Brown's claim that human milk has too many antibacterial properties to make cheese, it's been done and it made headlines a year ago when Manhattan chef Daniel Angerer used cheese made from his wife's milk at his restaurant, Klee
Brassiere Brasserie. He, too, ran afoul of health officials, who dictated that he not only stop serving the cheese.
4. Yogurt DIY - What could be more sustainable than making food with your body? No food miles, and as long as you're good to yourself, no animal cruelty issues. I-Village moms share their experiences with making yogurt from themselves.
3. Stays Crunchy in Breast Milk - Got cancer? In 2009 a man battling terminal cancer decided to build his immune system by putting his daughter's breast milk on his morning cornflakes.
2. A Milky Model Reality - During the tenth cycle of "America's Next Top Model" in 2008, contestant Claire Unabia admitted to drinking her own breast milk. It wasn't her super-secret beauty tip; she just didn't want it to go to waste. With an 18-month-old child at home, Unabia said she wanted to keep lactating so she could resume breastfeeding when she left the show. She did say that the added boost to her immune system was welcome. Also? Lactation's better than implants.
1. PETA's Breast Milk Cookbook - After noting the high number of Googles for breast milk recipes, PETA got the great idea to sell a cookbook of collected breast milk recipes, donating the profits to the Dump Dairy initiative. Oh, wait ... it was all a joke. Milking Mom is murder.