Metal Mesh Is Not Organic: Annie's Recalls Frozen Pizzas
Is that a scowl on the face of the cute little Annie's bunny? Might be. The Berkeley, California-based company known for its organic mac & cheese, snacks and more has announced (via the FDA) a nationwide voluntary recall of its Annie's Homegrown Frozen Pizza because these pizzas might contain fragments of a flexible metal mesh.
According to the Annie's press release, the fragments were the fault of "a faulty screen at a third-party flour mill." The recall includes all varieties of Annie's Rising Crust Frozen Pizza with a best-by date from January 9, 2013, through September 14, 2013.
Specifically, the following products have been recalled:
- Organic Four Cheese Pizza, 23.5 oz, UPC 013562 200016
- Organic Pepperoni Pizza, 23.6 oz, UPC 013562 200009
- Organic Supreme Pizza, 25.4 oz, UPC 013562 200023
- Organic Spinach and Mushroom Pizza, 25.0 oz, UPC 013562 200054
- Four Cheese Pizza, 22.5 oz, UPC 013562 200078
- Pepperoni Pizza, 22.6 oz, UPC 013562 200061
- BBQ Recipe Chicken Pizza, 23.1 oz, UPC 013562 200092
Annie's reports no consumer complaints, illnesses or injuries related to the recall. That bunny's pissed off, though.