What Is St. Louis' Most Underrated Fried Chicken?
OK, so our attempt to identify the most underrated restaurant for "sealing the deal" was a dud. No matter. We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and move on to a matter of more universal importance.
Scott Layne Fried chicken from Porter's Fried Chicken in Maplewood
Who has the most underrated fried chicken in St. Louis?
Sure, we all know about a St. Louis institution like Hodak's Restaurant & Bar (2100 Gravois Avenue; 314-776-7292), where the fried chicken is so popular you often have to wait in line just to get a table. And Gut Check and the RFT as a whole have given love to places like Porter's Fried Chicken (3628 South Big Bend Boulevard, Maplewood; 314-781-2097) and, most recently, Farmhaus (3257 Ivanhoe Avenue; 314-647-3800).
What places haven't we or St. Louis in general given their just dues for their fried chicken? Leave your nominations in the comments of this post. Be sure to include a description of why the fried chicken is underrated -- the more evocative the description, the better.
Nominations are open through noon this Friday, March 1. Voting will open next Monday, March 4.
The Gut Check Underrated/Overrated Hall of Fame
- Most Underrated Burger: Dressel's (419 North Euclid Avenue; 314-361-1060)
- Most Overrated Burger: Five Guys Burgers and Fries (multiple locations)
- Most Underrated Italian Restaurant: Filomena's Italian Kitchen (9900 Manchester Road, Glendale; 314-961-9909)
- Most Overrated Italian Restaurant: Rigazzi's (4945 Daggett Avenue; 314-772-4900)
- Most Underrated Pizza: Felix's (6335 Clayton Avenue; 314-645-6565)
- Most Overrated Pizza: Imo's Pizza (multiple locations)