Dressel's Porchetta "Louie": One of 100 St. Louis Dishes You Must Eat Right Now
The Gut Check One Hundred is our accounting of the 100 dishes in St. Louis that you must eat right now. These are the best dishes at the newest restaurants and the newest dishes at the best restaurants. These are the 100 dishes that define St. Louis dining in 2013. Our list culminates this fall when the Riverfront Times Best of St. Louis 2013 names the "Best Dish" of the year.
Dressel's (419 North Euclid Avenue; 314-361-1060) was a beloved St. Louis institution long before Guy Fieri paid a visit last year for an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It will likely remain a beloved St. Louis institution long after the spiky-haired one's TV show is but a distant memory.
The Porchetta "Louie" at Dressel's | Jennifer Silverberg
(He is going away eventually, right?)
- Dressel's Was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Last Night (Whoops)
- Ian Froeb's RFT Review of Dressel's (2012)
- Jennifer Silverberg's RFT Slideshow of Dressel's (2012)
- "Best Use of the Worst Cheese" (2012): Dressel's
But if Fieri had to visit Dressel's, he might have picked the best possible moment. Executive chef Michael Miller and chef de cuisine Derek Roe have elevated the restaurant from pub grub to the ranks of St. Louis' best.
And I have to give Fieri credit for highlighting the porchetta "Louie" -- the rare dish made with Provel that I find irresistible.
The sandwich ($12) is a play on a Philly cheesesteak that manages to be high- and lowbrow simultaneously. Here slices of roasted pork are tossed with peperoncini and rapini, which gives the rich meat a one-two punch of bite and bitterness. The Provel, melted and sparingly applied, contributes a tangy note along with its inimitable cream-like texture.
Is there a dish that you think belongs among the Gut Check One Hundred 2013? Let us know!
See Also: The Gut Check One Hundred 2013 (So Far)
- Cleveland- Heath's Seared Beef Tongue
- Cleveland-Heath's Cauliflower Soup
- Pastaria's Italian Ramen
- Pi Pizzeria's "Grove" Pizza
- Famous Szechuan Pavilion's Spicy Wonton Soup (Novice) or Yu Shan Pork (Advanced)
- La Tejana Taqueria's Goat Soup
- Hendricks BBQ's Ribs
- Sauce on the Side's "Costanza" Calzone
- Siete Luminarias' Guanajuato-Style Carnitas
- Fork & Stix's Khao Soi