Your Pick for St. Louis' Most Underrated Barbecue Is...
As a commenter astutely pointed out, The Shaved Duck (2900 Virginia Avenue; 314-776-1407) is hardly an unknown restaurant. Still, it isn't simply a barbecue joint -- heck, in its original incarnation, it was a gastropub -- and so often doesn't get factored into "Best Barbecue" discussions.
No longer. It was the clear winner of our St. Louis' Most Underrated Barbecue poll. The total of all the write-in votes finished a close second.
Split into individual "Other nominations, the new Lampert's BBQ (11658 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights; 314-291-0303) received enough write-in ballots to place second overall in a surge that was not at all suspicious.
Here are the results in full:
The Shaved Duck (2900 Virginia Avenue; 314-776-1407): 35.16%
Lampert's BBQ (11658 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights; 314-291-0303) [other] : 21.09%
Lil' Mickey's Memphis Barbeque (1020 Cave Springs Boulevard, St. Peters; 636-922-4227): 18.75%
Other [various]: 17.19%
Roper's Ribs (6929 West Florissant Avenue, Jennings; 314-381-6200): 4.69%
Mi Hungry Catering & BBQ (8660 St. Charles Rock Road, Overland; 314-427-3368): 3.13%
The Gut Check Underrated/Overrated Hall of Fame
- Most Underrated Burger: Dressel's (419 North Euclid Avenue; 314-361-1060)
- Most Overrated Burger: Five Guys Burgers and Fries (multiple locations)
- Most Underrated Italian Restaurant: Filomena's Italian Kitchen (9900 Manchester Road, Glendale; 314-961-9909)
- Most Overrated Italian Restaurant: Rigazzi's (4945 Daggett Avenue; 314-772-4900)
- Most Underrated Pizza: Felix's (6335 Clayton Avenue; 314-645-6565)
- Most Overrated Pizza: Imo's Pizza (multiple locations)
- Most Underrated Fried Chicken: King Edwards Fried Chicken (multiple locations)
11658 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights, MO