I'm a Musician: What Do I Do About Health Insurance?

Categories: Ask Fan Landers

If you are signed to a major label or a subsidiary, you may qualify for health insurance though AFTRA. This applies to "royalty artists" as well as session vocalists, and the plan also covers families, not just individuals. Check out aftrahr.com for more information; they also have a helpline. The American Federation of Musicians (AFM), a union for working musicians, also offers an array of plans to union members. There are a handful of unions and professional organizations you might already be associated with that help members with referrals. You can also just check on the FMC's website for a run down on all of this and more.

A postscript: The terrible news of Jason Molina's passing came as I was finishing this week's column. In 2011, his family started a fund to cover the mounting debt of Molina's uninsured stints in rehab. If you are a musician or work in the music industry and are battling addiction, MusicCares (1-800-687-4227) is a resource for those seeking sobriety that also provides financial assistance for rehab.


See also:
-Ten Bands You Never Would Have Thought Used to Be Good
-The Ten Biggest Concert Buzzkills: An Illustrated Guide
-The 15 Most Ridiculous Band Promo Photos Ever
-The Ten Worst Music Tattoos Ever

Follow RFT Music on Twitter or Facebook. But go with Twitter. Facebook blows.

Sponsor Content

My Voice Nation Help

I agree with the advice of Alex Maiolo we should "Insure for the worst-case scenario." We might not know what happen tomorrow. It's best to be prepared.

Here's a page that might help you obtain more information about the coverage and may assist you to decide what's best for you http://bighealthinsuranceswitch.com/.

Now Trending

St. Louis Concert Tickets

From the Vault