Arcade Fire Chooses Pageantry over Music 4/27/14: Recap, Setlist, Photos
Jason Stoff It's just a reflektor.
* Butler didn't yak a ton from the stage, but just before "Wake Up," the band's second song of the night, he cautioned, "We're not fucking around, St. Louis." He also recalled when the band nearly broke up onstage while playing the Rocket Bar many years ago and, just before last night's finale, declared how important it was in his line of work to be a professional. "If you want to play one-third of an arena, you've gotta keep it pro," Butler laughed.
* With band members constantly switching instruments and running off- and onstage, it was hard to keep track of people. But at one point, we counted thirteen musicians performing simultaneously.
* "Rebellion (Lies)" sounded especially strong last night, with the falsetto harmonies sounding truer than we've ever heard them. During the song, Will Butler (Win's brother) jumped from the stage and banged a snare drum while running up the stairs past section 104.
* Our media pass got us seats on the left-hand side of the stage, directly in line with the massive speakers. We're normally cool with this, but Arcade Fire had its bass unusually turned up to eleven, and the out-of-character reverberations blew out our ears, pounded our throat and tickled our feet -- in the bad way, people. We later left Chaifetz with a migraine and swirly tummy as souvenirs.
* With a little help from the makeup department, Butler could become a twin for Tom Hiddleston, who plays Loki in the Thor films.
* RFT Music took Arcade Fire's suggestion of formal wear to heart, with our writer in an iridescent violet prom gown and our photographer in a charcoal suit with no tie. But we were in the minority, as more attendees decided to wear animal masks or normal clothes to the show. St. Louis isn't a fan of dress codes, you know.
* The band closed the evening with a passionate, extended rendition of Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven," during which Win Butler descended into the audience while Will took vocals. Win posed on the soundboard stage for a few seconds before walking casually through the crowd, almost as if he were willing people to admire him.
* Arcade Fire originally was slated to perform at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater before moving the show to the much smaller Chaifetz Arena.
* tUnE-yArDs and Kid Koala opened the show.
Here Comes the Night Time
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
We Used to Wait
Ready to Start
No Cars Go
It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus)
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Roll Over Beethoven
RFT MUSIC'S GREATEST HITS
The 15 Most Ridiculous Band Promo Photos Ever
This Incredible Make-A-Wish Teenager Went to the Gathering of the Juggalos, Got a Lap Dance (NSFW)
Crotching Whiskey at the Justin Bieber Concert and Getting Thrown Out: A Review
The Top Ten Ways to Piss Off Your Bartender at a Music Venue